I’ve changed my Word Press blog theme. Again.
I didn’t start this current diet I’m on because it’s the beginning of a new year. I started dieting after I weighed myself for the first time in over 2 years. I’m using the LoseIt! app and a Misfit Shine to help me lose weight. Like most women, I’ve tried many diets over the years. I’ve found that a low-calorie diet works best for me. It’s also the only diet I’ve tried that doesn’t make me poop soup.
I need a new rheumatologist and a new shrink. The former is retiring and I’m tired of the latter. I’m looking in the Portland metro area, preferably on the west side. If you have any recommendations for me, let me know.
One of the few things I like about this time of year is the ‘Best Of’ lists. What are your favorite things of 2014? Share them with me in the comments section below! Here are a few of mine…
Top Recommendations of 2014:
- Influenster. In a nutshell: free products.
- Instacart. Grocery delivery within 2 hours of ordering for a reasonable price. Sa-wheat!
- Prize Candle. Scented soy candles with a ring of random size and value inside. My favorite scent so far is Vanilla Chai (hint hint).
Favorite Reads of 2014:
Favorite Electronics Purchases of 2014:
- Clore JNC300XL ‘Jump-N-Carry’ 900 Peak Amp Ultraportable 12V Jump Starter with Light, CEC Compliant. Something is wrong with the electrical system in my 1999 VW Cabrio. I’ve had several people look at it–including the dealership–and nobody knows what’s draining the battery. Needless to say, it sucked to constantly have to hit up strangers, neighbors, friends, and Triple-A for a jump. It’s so nice to be able to take care of it myself! This jump starter saved my ass more times than I can count!
- Sunforce 50013 1-Watt Motorcycle and Powersports Solar Battery Charger. Yay! I’m impressed at how well it works in the almost-always-gray Pacific Northwest. Now that I have this “trickle charger” hooked up to my car, I no longer have to use my Jump-N-Carry multiple times a day!
- Raspberry Pi (kit).Google “raspberry pi projects” and see all of the cool things people are doing with their Raspberry Pi. I’m using mine as a print server for my ancient 1000 series HP LaserJet.
Websites With Much-Better ‘Best Of’ Lists:
And, just for the hell of it:
Well, I tried but quickly fell out of the habit of posting daily to my “favorite things” blogs. I don’t have as many favorite things as I thought I did. But I did update my documentary page. I watched good docs on Divine and Buck Angel this weekend. I also watched a German movie called The Hairdresser. I hate to call it heartwarming, but yeah, my heart was warmed.
I started a “My Daily 3″ journal this weekend. It’s not a to-do list, it’s an already-done list. I got the idea from here. Yesterday: paid bills, ate a Frosty from Wendy’s, farted a lot. Today list, so far: wrote a blog post, sent an email I’ve been meaning to send, jotted some notes down for a writing project.
Keeping a My Daily 3 journal will either depress the hell out of me or motivate me to get off my ass. Maybe it will do both. There’s only one way to find out…
I spent the entire weekend in bed, suffering from menstrual misery. Today is Monday and I feel better, which is good because there are things I need to do. There are so many things I need to do. I don’t know where to start.
My microwave bit the dust last week. I told myself I need to get rid of it before I replace it. My home has become a dead electronics graveyard. I have broken phones and ancient computer towers in my kitchen and living room. Two broken printers and a FAX machine have occupied the back seat of my car for months. I need to get rid of all of these things soon, especially the microwave. There are some things that just don’t heat well in a toaster oven.
My bathroom needs new shelving, but I have to get rid of a ton of shit in the bathroom first. Same thing goes for my office area. I have a zillion pens and I’m guessing 80% of them are dead. Did you know there’s a guy in California that recycles old pens? He takes donations. Donations of old pens. And he’ll be getting a large envelope in the mail from me soon.
I’m creating a list of books I’ve read and liked: book-aisle-fifteen.tumblr.com (with affiliate links). My goal is to update it daily.
I love making lists. If only I was better about completing any tasks on them.
“It’s not that you set out to oppose authority. In the act of writing you simply do. Your job, your reason for writing, is to uncover what the state and the conventions of your town normally hide. That’s why you want to write—to tell what hasn’t been told.” —Grace Paley (via The Paris Review)
Do you shop at Amazon.com? Could you help me out? I get a small commission on purchases made when I direct someone to Amazon from my website. You can click on the Amazon logo on the right-hand side to access my referral link, or click on any Amazon product link on this blog.
I’m an Amazon Prime Member and I buy a bunch of different things on Amazon, like household items, clothes, shoes, electronics, books (of course)–you name it. I’m always waiting for a package with the Amazon logo on it to show up on my front step. If you’re curious about what I’m purchasing and reviewing, click here: Neva’s Amazon.com Product Reviews.
I’ve also started a Tumblr where I will post (almost daily) my favorite things, and deals I come across, the items that fall into the stuff-I’ll-never-buy-but-it’s-fun-to-think-about category: Reporting From Aisle 15 (aisle-fifteen.tumblr.com).
If you can help me out by utilizing these links, it would be much appreciated. <3